Do you want to work with LGBTQ API communities? Do you have a commitment to social justice? Do you want to learn concrete community organizing skills and work to build movements for change?
The application for API Equality – Northern California’s Summer Internship 2017 is now open!Applications are due March 3rd, 2017!
ABOUT OUR SUMMER INTERNSHIP Every year, APIENC (API Equality – Northern California) embarks on an intensive summer internship program to develop the next generation of LGBTQ API social justice and cultural change leaders. At APIENC, we know that LGBTQ API people have the target of interpersonal abuse, state violence, and systemic oppression both historically, and in this current political climate. Leadership development for our own queer, trans, and gender nonconforming API people is critical in building the skills and community needed to address our material conditions and in supporting larger movements for change.
APIENC Interns receive in-depth trainings on a variety of topics, and employ dynamic approaches for intersectional and multi-issue based organizing. Summer 2017 marks our 8th cohort of summer interns, and each intern contributes to the LGBTQ API community by impacting the organization’s history and current projects.
Throughout the summer, interns will build meaningful relationships with partner organizations focused on a wide array of issues and committed to queer & trans API justice. Interns will be expected to participate in our API Queer Justice Leadership Exchange, a venue for API leaders to learn organizing skills, exchange ideas, and build community. During the course of the internship, interns will also also have the opportunity to take leadership in our different projects, including the Trans Justice Initiative and the Dragon Fruit Project. Overall, interns get to bring their full selves each day, work hard, laugh a lot, and have a blast.
- Work with APIENC staff to develop and implement strategies for empowering and mobilizing the LGBTQ API community
- Spend a minimum of 15 hours in the APIENC office each week (located in SF Chinatown)
- Meet once a week with APIENC staff and the rest of the intern cohort to reflect, debrief, and give and receive feedback
- Recruit, support, and train volunteers
- Develop and implement a fundraising campaign
- Plan and execute trainings and events
- Represent APIENC at external meetings and events
- Attend a national gathering for LGBTQ API communities in July or August
- Participate in a Leadership Exchange with other API leaders committed to queer justice
- Build relationships with other LGBTQ people of color, API, and intersectional organizations working towards progressive social change
- Displays a strong commitment to the diverse communities APIENC works with
- Shows a fundamental understanding of the power of community organizing and LGBTQ API leadership
- Exhibits desire to build intentional relationships, reflect on personal experience, and grow
- Can build a team and work collaboratively
- Demonstrates proactive leadership, can work independently, and takes initiative
- Possesses strong interpersonal and relationship-building skills
- Employs a critical lens and solution-based thinking when addressing issues
- Applications are due by March 3rd, 2017
- Interviews will be conducted by March 6-17th
- Selected interns will be notified in late March
- Internship run for about 8 weeks from June – August (exact dates TBD)
- A small stipend is available, but interns are responsible for their own housing and commute costs.