Title: Community Organizer
Deadline: January 8th, 2010- Early Submissions Encouraged !!!!!
Compensation: DOE, excellent benefits
Location: San Francisco, CA
API Equality is currently seeking a Community Organizer to lead and expand API Equality’s community education, outreach, and campaign efforts in Northern California.
The Community Organizer’s primary responsibility is to work with API Equality’s coalition and steering committee members to develop educational, outreach, and field campaigns and efforts to increase the capacity of API organizations and individuals to be effective advocates for LGBTQI issues; a natural component of this work also includes bringing greater understanding and awareness of API communities, cultures, and interests to the LGBTQI movement.
Specifically, the Community Organizer will:
• Recruit, train, and motivate volunteers;
• Develop campaigns to mobilize API community members to build capacity and
effectively advocate for LGBTQI rights in their communities;
• Build coalitions and manage relationships with API/ LGBTQI partner organizations;
• Serve as a spokesperson for LGBTQI/API issues and help to develop media resources
and education materials that promote a progressive APA perspective on LGBTQI rights;
• Work closely with CAA’s policy staff to identify and address ongoing needs of LGBTQI
API families and individuals;
• Develop and manage API Equality’s membership and volunteer database; and
• Represent CAA/API Equality at community events and public hearings.
• Bachelor’s degree;
• Oral fluency and/or written proficiency in an API language (preferred);
• Experience in organizing around social justice issues (API or LGBTQI issues preferred);
• Demonstrated experience recruiting, motivating, and training teams of volunteers
in collective action to build power;
• Strong drive to achieve measurable progress towards meaningful change;
• Strong oral and written communication skills;
• Excellent organizing and planning skills; and
• Team player.
To apply, please send a cover letter and resume to: Community Organizer Search, CAA, 17 Walter U. Lum Place, San Francisco, CA 94108 or e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org. CAA is an equal opportunity employer. Women, people of color, and LGBTQ individuals are encouraged to apply.
Chinese for Affirmative Action (CAA) is a 40-year-old non-profit, member-supported organization advocating on behalf of Asian and Pacific Islanders (API) and other underrepresented communities in San Francisco and statewide. (www.caasf.org).
API Equality, a project of CAA, is the first effort of its kind and the only coalition of organizations and individuals working in the Asian and Pacific Islander (API) and Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer/Questioning, and Intersex (LGBTQI) communities of Northern California. API Equality is committed to combating both individualized and institutionalized heterosexism and homophobia in the diverse ethnic communities of Northern California’s API population, while in tandem combating racism and xenophobia in the greater LGBTQI community. (www.apiequality.org)